Dr. Dara W. Childs, P.E. was Director of the Turbomachinery Laboratory from 1984 to 2018 and held the Leland T. Jordan Chair in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees (Civil Engineering, 1961, 1962) from Oklahoma State University, and his Ph.D. (Engineering Mechanics, 1968) from the University of Texas. He was named ASME Fellow Member in 1990 and received ASMEs Henry R. Worthington Medal in 1991. Dr. Childs’ expertise is in dynamics and vibrations, with an emphasis in rotordynamics. He has conducted research and engineering projects for NASA, DOD, and private firms. Current research includes high-pressure testing honeycomb and hole-pattern gas damper seals; testing high-pressure laminar oil seals; force measurements in magnetic bearings using fiber-optic strain gauges. Dr. Childs has authored numerous reviewed publications related to rotordynamics and vibrations, and the book, Turbomachinery Rotordynamics. He is presently completing a new dynamics book entitled, Dynamics in Engineering Practice.
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., Oklahoma State University
- B.S., Oklahoma State University
Awards & Honors
- ASME IGTI, Structures and Dynamics: Rotordynamics, 2015 Best Paper Award, Muhammed, Ameen, Childs, D., “Vibration Modeling and Experimental Results of Two Phase Flow Twin Screw Pump,” ASME Paper GT 2015-44115, 2016
- Received the SAE Cliff Garrett Turbomachinery and Applications Engineering Award, 2014
- Best Paper Award, ASME IGTI, Structures and Dynamics Committee, 2009.
- Mechanical Engineering Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2001
- San Andrés, L, Phillips, S., and Childs, D. (2016), “A Water Lubricated Hybrid Thrust Bearing: Measurements and Predictions of Static Load Performance,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 2016; 139(2):022506-022506-10, GTP-16-1272, doi: 10.1115/1.4034042
- Muhammed, A. and Childs, D. (2016), “ Vibration Modeling and Experimental Results of Two-Phase Twin-Screw Pump,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 2016; 138(9):092601-092601-17. GTP-15-1448, doi: 10.1115/1.4032662
- Gaines, J., and Childs, D. (2016), “The Impact of Pad Flexibility on the Rotordynamic Coefficients of Tilting-Pad Journal Bearings,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 2016; 138(8):082501-082501-12. GTP-15-1394 doi: 10.1115/1.4032334
- Dara W. Childs; James E. Mclean, Jr.; Min Zhang; Stephen P. Arthur; “Rotordynamic Performance of a Negative-Swirl Brake for a Tooth-on-Stator Labyrinth Seal,” J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. 2015; 138(6):062505-062505-8, GTP-15-1464, doi: 10.1115/1.4031877
- Khatri, R., and D. Childs, “An Experimental Study of The Load-Orientation Sensitivity of Three-Lobe Bearing,” ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines and Power, J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power (April) 2015; GTP-14-1356 doi: 10.1115/1.4028662