Dr. Je-Chin Han
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- Marcus C. Easterling ’30 Chair Professor
- University Distinguished Professor
- Heat transfer
- Turbine blade cooling
- Experimental heat transfer
Dr. Je-Chin Han is a Distinguished Professor and Marcus Easterling Endowed Chair Professor. Han received his bachelor’s degree from National Taiwan University, a master’s degree from Lehigh University and a Sc.D. degree from M.I.T., all in mechanical engineering. He has worked on gas turbine heat transfer and cooling research for over 40 years. He is the co-author of more than 220 refereed journal papers. He received the 2002 American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Heat Transfer Memorial Award, 2004 International Rotating Machinery Award, 2004 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Thermophysics Award and 2016 ASME International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI) Aircraft Engine Technology Award. Han is an ASME and AIAA fellow and has served as an editor or an associate editor for eight heat transfer-related journals.
- Sc.D. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 1976
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 1973
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan 1970
Awards & Honors
- ASME K-14 Best Heat Transfer Paper Award, 2018
- ASME and AICHE Max Jakob Memorial Award, 2016
- AIAA FELLOW, 2016
- ASME IGTI Aircraft Engine Technology Award, 2016
- ASME Heat Transfer Division 75th Anniversary Medal, 2013
- ASME K-14 Warren Rohsenow Prize for Best Presentation, November 13, 2007
- Distinguished Professor, Texas A&M University, September 2006-present
- ASME IGTI Certificate Award for Valued Service as Chair – Heat Transfer Committee, 2004-2006
- AIAA Thermophysics Award – June 29, 2004
- ISROMAC (International Symposium on Rotating Machinery) Award in Heat Transfer Category – March 9, 2004
- ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award in the Art Category, 2002
- Marcus C. Easterling Chair, Texas A&M University, June 2001-presen
- Han, J.C., “Advanced Cooling in Gas Turbines 2016 Max Jakob Memorial Award Paper,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 140, No. 11, 2018, pp. 113001-1-20.
- Wright, L.M., and Han, J.C., “Heat Transfer Enhancement for Turbine Blade Internal Cooling,” Journal of Enhanced Heat Transfer, Vol. 21, No. 3-4, 2015, pp. 111-140.
- Ekkad, S.V., and Han, J.C., “A Review of Hole Geometry and Coolant Density Effect on Film Cooling,” Frontiers in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 6, No. 8, 2015, pp. 1-14, DOI: 10.5098/hmt.6.8.
- Han, J.C., “Fundamental Gas Turbine Heat Transfer,” ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, Special Issue: 75th Anniversary Celebration of the Heat Transfer Division, 5: 021007.1-021007.15, 2013.
- Han, J.C., Dutta, S., and Ekkad, S.V., Gas Turbine Heat Transfer and Cooling Technology, second edition, CRC Press, 2012, ISBN# 978-1-4398-5568-3, 869 pages.