Scott’s research primarily focuses on the detonation physics of gaseous and condensed-phase explosives with the intent to provide improved models and novel measurements of shock and detonation processes. Scott is also on the board of directors and leadership team for IDERS, the Institute for Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems, which is an international group that organizes the ICDERS conference and is interested in the scientific study of the non-steady coupling that occurs between the fluid flow system and the exothermic reactions associated with high-speed combustion.
- Ph.D., Aeronautics with minor in Geophysics, California Institute of Technology – 2005
- M.S., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology – 2000
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, Brown University – 1999
Awards & Honors
- Artistic Merit Award, Central States Section Combustion Art Competition, 12th US National Combustion Meeting – 2021
- Los Alamos National Lab Distinguished Performance Award, Hot Composition B Performance Team – 2017
- Distinguished Paper for “Detonations, Explosions, and Supersonic Combustion” Colloquium, 36th International Symposium on Combustion – 2016
- National Nuclear Security Administration Defense Programs Award of Excellence, Barrier for Detonation Attenuation Team – 2014
- National Nuclear Security Administration Defense Programs Award of Excellence, Gemini Experiment Series Team – 2012
- Los Alamos National Lab Distinguished Performance Award, Project GREENSKY Team – 2012
- National Nuclear Security Administration Defense Programs Award of Excellence, Advanced Insensitive Explosives Development – 2010
- Distinguished Paper for “Detonations, Explosions, and Supersonic Combustion” Colloquium, 32nd International Symposium on Combustion – 2008
- Harold Agnew National Security Postdoctoral Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory – 2005
- S.I. Jackson, “Scaling of the detonation product state with reactant kinetic energy,” Combustion and Flame, 2018, 190, Pages 240-251.
- S.I. Jackson, “The dependence of Ammonium-Nitrate Fuel-Oil (ANFO) detonation on confinement,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2017, 36(2), Pages 2791-2798.
- S. Jackson, B. Lee and J.E. Shepherd, “Detonation mode and frequency analysis under high loss conditions for stoichiometric propane-oxygen,” Combustion and Flame, 2016, 167, Pages 24-38.
- S.I. Jackson and M. Short, “Scaling of detonation velocity in cylinder and slab geometries for ideal, insensitive and non-ideal explosives,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2015, 773, Pages 224-266.
- M. Cooper, S. Jackson, J. Austin, E. Wintenberger and J.E. Shepherd, “Direct experimental impulse measurements for detonations and deflagrations,” Journal of propulsion and power, 2002, 18(5), Pages 1033-1041.