Dr. Alan Palazzolo is a professor of mechanical engineering with industrial experience at Bently Nevada Corp., Allis Chalmers, Southwest Research Institute and NASA Glenn and Marshall Spaceflight Centers. He performed over $10 million in funded research for NASA, ARL, DOE, ONR, the government of Qatar and private companies. He is an ASME fellow, Endowed Professor, R&D 100 Award recipient, author of 70 archival journal publications, holder of three U.S. patents, author of the textbook, “Vibration Theory and Applications,” and recipient of the best paper award of the ASME Journal of Tribology 2014. His research specialties include rotordynamics, drill string vibration, magnetic bearings, energy storage flywheels, desalination centrifuges, heart pumps, CFD for turbomachinery, fluid film bearings and seals, gears and couplings. Visit http://vcel.tamu.edu/ for more on Palazzolo’s research.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering University of Virginia – 1981
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering University of Virginia – 1977
- B.S., Engineering Physics University of Toledo – 1976
Awards & Honors
- TEES Senior Fellow
- Director of the TAMU Vibration Control and Electromechanics Lab (VCEL)
- 2014 & 2016 Best Paper: ASME J. of Tribology
- R&D100 Award Recipient
- 3 U.S. Patents
- Hu*, L. and Palazzolo, A., “An Improved Axisymmetric Solid Element for Modeling Flexible Rotor Systems “,ASME J. of Vibrations, VIB 18 – 1282, J. Vib. Acoust 141(5), 051002 (May 10, 2019).
- Kim, S., and Palazzolo, A,, “Pad–Pivot Friction Effect on Nonlinear Response of a Rotor Supported by Tilting-Pad Journal Bearings”, ASME J. Tribology, Sep 2019, 141(9): 091701.
- Li, W., Su, X., Palazzolo, A., and Ahmed, S., “A Flux Boundary Scheme in the Lattice Boltzmann Method and its Applications in the Simulation of Membrane Desalination”, Desalination and Water Treatment, Elsevier, Vol. 161, (Sept. 2019).
- Mortazavi*, F., Palazzolo, A., “A Transient Computational Fluid Dynamics, Phase Modulated, Multi-Frequency Approach for Impeller Rotordynamic Forces”, ASME J. of Fluid Engineering, J. Fluids Eng 141(7), July 2019.
- Yang, J., and Palazzolo, A., “3D Thermo-Elasto-Hydrodynamic CFD Model of a Tilting Pad Journal Bearing ―Part II: Dynamic Response”, ASME J. of Tribology, 141(6), June 2019.