Dr. Luis San Andrés is the Mast-Childs Chair Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He conducts research in fluid film bearings and seals for turbomachinery, gas foil bearings for high temperature oil-free turbomachinery, hybrid fluid film bearings for turbopumps and squeeze film dampers for aircraft jet engines. His computational codes, benchmarked against test data, are standards in the rotating machinery industry. San Andrés and his students have authored over 160 journal papers and 80 conference papers, several of which have earned Best Paper awards. San Andrés is a fellow of ASME and STLE.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University – 1985
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh – 1982
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Escuela Politécnica Nacional – 1980
Awards & Honors
- 2014-2024 Mast-Childs Chair Professor
- 2019 Joint Faculty Appointment with Army Research Laboratory, Vehicle Technology Propulsion Directorate.
- 2005-2014, Mast-Childs Professorship
- 018-2021, 2009-2012 Adjunct Professor, Jiaotong University, Xi’an, PR China
- 2005, Fellow ASME, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2005, Fellow STLE, Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- 2005, Ruth and William Neele’52 Faculty Fellow – Dwight Look College of Engineering
- 2004, E.D. Brocket Professorship
- 1999, Dresser Industries Professorship
- 1998, Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Texas A&M University
- 1997, The Plank Co. Faculty Fellow
- 1996, TEES Senior Research Fellow Award
- 1995, Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award from SAE (Engineering Society for Advancing Mobility Land Sea Air and Space).
- 1995, TEES Research Fellow Award
- 1993, TEES Research Fellow Award
- 1989, Latin-American Applied Science Award, (OAS) Organization of American States.
- 2019 Best Paper Award, Structures & Dynamics Committee, ASME IGTI (June 2019) Experimental Force Coefficients for Two Sealed Ends Squeeze Film Dampers (Piston Rings and O-rings): An Assessment of Their Similarities and Differences, ASME GT2018-76224.
- 2018 Best Paper Award, Structures & Dynamics Committee, ASME IGTI (June 2018) San Andrés, L., and Lu, X., 2017, “Leakage. Drag Power and Rotordynamics Force Coefficients of an Air in Oil (Wet) Annular Seal, ASME GT2017-63254
- 2017 Best Paper Award, Structures & Dynamics Committee, ASME IGTI (June 2017) San Andrés, L., Childs, D., and Phillips, S., 2016, “A Water Lubricated Hybrid Thrust Bearing: Measurements and Predictions of Static Load Performance,” ASME GT2016-56349
- 2014 Outstanding Paper 9th IFToMM International Conference on Rotordynamics, Milan, Italy (1/198 papers) San Andrés, L., Jeung, S.-H, and Bradley, G., 2014, “Dynamic Forced Performance of Short Length Open-Ends Squeeze Film Damper with End Grooves.”
- 2012 Best Paper Award, Structures & Dynamics Committee, ASME IGTI (June 2013) Ryu, K., and San Andrés, L., 2012, ”Effect of Cooling Flow on The Operation of a Hot Rotor-Gas Foil Bearing System,” ASME J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power, vol. 134 (October), 102511 [ASME paper GT2012-68074]